Modified from The Joy of Cooking (1973) “quick cherry crunch”. I made this to use up some really tart apricots and old peaches with a bad texture. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of it, but it was really good!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2-2/3 cup sugar (use the smaller amount if fruit is already quite sweet or has added sugar)
- 1/2 cup melted butter or other liquid oil
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- Some milk (I didn’t measure, maybe 1/3 cup?)
- (Optional) 1 cup nuts (either soft/oily ones like walnuts and pecans, or thinly sliced if harder, like almonds)
- 3-4 cups chopped fruit (use the smaller amount if fruit is quite sour)
- Mix all ingredients through baking powder. Split in half.
- Mix one half with the egg, milk, and nuts. Put in the bottom of baking dish (~9″ x 9″ x 2″).
- Add fruit. Top with other half of streusel mixture.
- Bake 35 min at 350°F.
The original recipe just put half the streusel below and half above the fruit, no milk, egg, or nuts added.